Monday, January 5, 2009

Just call me Betty

I come from a long line of really great cooks, my grandmas especially! For the past few years I've really become interested in family recipes and learning how to make them so I can pass them down one day too, and I'm fortunate enough to still have both of my grandmas to learn from. My Mema (my mom's mom) lives in SE Texas and is really just a "good ol' southern cook." Some food just brings you back to really great early childhood memories. For me it's the recipes from my mema and Grandma. Earlier this year I cooked my first homemade banana pudding, she taught me how to make chicken and dressing (which I've made a few years now for Christmas and Thanksgiving), Texas Sized Biscuits, and Potato Salad. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures with us cooking together, but next time I see her will try to get some.
Last weekend I went to Mesquite to spend the afternoon with Grandma Switzer (my Dad's mom). She can make the best homemade pie crust. I've been wanting to learn for quite a while, so thankfully we had a whole afternoon to practice. I also plan on doing a Creative Memories digital scrapbook with pics and all my recipes. Here are a few snapshots from our afternoon.


Me and my grandma, Evelyn Switzer


Getting the ingredients ready


Sifting the flour


Cutting the flour


D Bear being very helpful!


Mixing up my homemade sweet potato pie filling


Our work station. Grandma also made a cherry pie


Grandpa and Grandma


Making Sticktights, I'm sprinkling on the Cinnamon


Viola, a Homemade Sweet Potato pie!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Yum!! A piece of that would go so well with my new diet!!

Lori said...

Wow! That is so great! I can just see you in 20 or so years teaching Dallas' wife and then your own grandchildren! I remember my grandma's spaghetti and meatballs. I can never make mine as good as hers. Wish I still had her to teach me!